Thread: Advice please
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermum View Post
Hi I am new here and have just found this site, I hope someone can help me with some advice. I am 53 and started in Feb with constipation, and the occasional very low left side abdominal pain. I felt unwell, tired, and my gp sent me a scan thinking it was ovarian cyst? scan was fine... pain began to be more troublesome (very sharp feels like something is twisting in my groin area. bowel pattern became more troublesome always constipated, (small pellet type)!!, and noticed lots of mucus.. started taking laxatives but these did not help. Saw a Consultant last week, who did a colonoscopy 2 days ago and screened for bowel cancer.... I have been told colon looked normal, so diagnosis is IBS, I have a follow up appointment in 3 weeks, and have rang this morning due to the pain being constant now, since the bowel prep for the colonoscopy? my pubic bone on the left side is very painful when touched, I dont know what the hell is going on, and I am getting frightened to eat, because of the pain I am in, its getting me down. Has anyone had similar problems, would be grateful to hear off you. Thanks
I have had IBS since June of 1996. My IBS alternates between being constipated and then having explosive diarrhea episodes, although I tend to get constipated more often because I had the constipation problem all my life
before the IBS diagnosis in 1996. When I am severly constipated for more than 3-5 days,I get pains in my left side near where the end of your colon is. Mine is usually a combination of trapped gas that can't go around the hard stool and the pressure of so much stool backed up in my colon. I also feel like I am constantly sitting on jagged rock and the constant pressure in my rectum feeling like I have to go but yet can't pass any stool. Many people with IBS have pain in their left side and that is usually when the colon goes into spasms.
I had finally got fed up in early March of 2011 of always being constipated most of the time so I went on the internet in search of natural ways of combating chronic constipation. I found an article on bowel retraining for people with constipation problems. I read the article thoroughly and started following the next day. It took about a week to get my body use to having a bowel movement every day. It took 2-3 days in a row of using a glycerin suppository to soften the stool and get my body use to having a BM every day at the same time. I now eat a high fiber diet 25-30 grams a day,drink at least 64 oz. a day of water, give myself 30 minutes of sitting on the toilet every morning even before I get into the shower to have a BM. When I get lazy and don't this for more than 2 days in a row then I pay the awful painful price on the 3 rd day of not being able to go without the use of a glycerin suppository. I now know I can't go for more than 48 hours without moving my bowels. Moving my bowels on a daily basis has improved my IBS symptoms to almost nothing. Now when I get the explosive diarrhea and severe abdominal cramps,it's usually because I ate something my intestines didn't like having in it. This can happen sometimes within 15 minutes of eating. I hope this can help you in some way.

Last edited by flipfleury; 09-29-2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: missed putting a word in a sentence.