Abcessed inguinal lymph node
I am researching on behalf of my 30 yr old son who had an abcessed inguinal lymph node removed due to severe systemic infection and lymphadenopothy. He presented 3 years ago with an enlarged inguinal lymph node with whole body pain, weakness, muscle cramping and drenching sweats with fever. The biopsy at that time indicated that he had coccidiomycosis or Valley Fever. He was treated with Diflucon for about 4 months and saw an infectious disease specialist for about the same amount of time and was released from care. Approximately 2 months ago he presented in the urgent care with dilerious fever and pain in the area of the same inguinal lymph node which was then red, hot, and enlarged. The doctor immediately assumed coccidiomycosis again with an infected lymphe node and sent him to a surgeon the following day. He was immediately put on Cipro & Diflucon by urgent care and told to follow up with the surgeon and primary care physician. The next day he saw a surgeon who saw no need for a biopsy to be scheduled at that time. One week later he saw his primary care physician. At the urgent care and at the doctors office bloodwork and chest x-rays were ordered repeatedly and all came back negative. He was given off work and was told to discontine the Diflucon and Cipro. My son became weaker, his pain increased all over the body but especially in the muscles. The fever and drenching sweats continued and the site of the lymph node became hotter and grew in size every day. He became so ill that he had to return to the doctor's office and was given off more weeks of work and the antibiotics and Diflucon were reinstated. About 5 weeks into this process my son began to cramp so badly that his neck became frozen to one side and he was in agony at any movement. I took him back to the doctor who noted that his condition was deteriorating and the infection worsening with continued growth in size of the lymph node. He then schedule another appointment with a different surgeon who recommended a core biopsy. Within 2 days of the decision to schedule the core biopsy, my son became so ill that we took him to the hospital emergency room where they did an untrasound and found calcification and fluid in the lymph node. This procedure helped to speed up the date of the biopsy. The next morning the surgeon called to get my son in and it was decided that a core biopsy was not going to be the right procedure for his case. Two days later my son underwent an exploratory biopsy and the surgeon removed the lymph node because it was abcessed. My son stayed in the hospital for 5 days with the first 3 fighting fevers. According to the surgeon, the biopsy did not show coccidiomycosis and the tissue came back negative for anything else. I believe that they have to run more tests. Since the surgery the severe pain in the muscles all over his body is gone, but the weakness, dizziness, loss of appetite, and complete lack of energy are still present. The surgeon has just seen him for his post op appointment and told him the wound is healing well, but he does not have any answers confirming a diagnosis. He told my son that something is not right because he should have started to feel better and regain strenth. My son is being sent back to his primary care for continued care. I believe that all of the physicians still believe that he has coccidiomycosis. He remains on Diflucon and Cipro. He is now on disability and unable to work until further notice. The doctors seem to be struggling to get a handle on this. I am trying to see if there is something that they are missing that would help in his diagnosis, treatment, and recovery. Any ideas?