View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User
Re: Post op frustration

I totally understand your frustrations! I've come to realize, both with my own personal experience, and reading about others, that this is a roller coaster. No matter what type of surgery. It also goes through stages. You get the honeymoon phase, when everyone is nice to you and helps you and gets you things. Then, you start to improve on the outside, so people stop helping. You are just independent enough, but not quite. That for me is when the real frustration set in. I was bedridden, only allowed up for 10 mins a day for about 6 weeks. I watched a lot of bad bad TV. I wanted to read, I wanted to work on my language program (I got Rosetta Stone last Christmas, but never had the chance to practice). I haven't done either. I can't concentrate for very long.

But...

Just know, that without even realizing it, you take a few steps forward (pun only mostly intended). I was allowed to have my foot down, and then I was recently given clearance to drive. Today I went on my first solo adventure with my new knee walker. I got a hair cut! But, now i'm paying for it with a super sore quad from the aforementioned knee walker. But I'll take it, because I was out and about.

I'm still a long way from walking on two feet again, probably another 4-6 weeks, at least. But, i know I'm further along than when this happened. I was blindsided by the injury, and it's changed my life. I can't really say for the better, at least not yet. But am I different? For sure. I just need time to sort everything out.

Sorry for going off on my own tangent there, with a little bit of projection. I think I attempted helpful, and at midnight went a little off target.

Moral of the story: Frustration is normal. It will get better.