View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: The one single thing I most regret and miss ....

Luau, I am so sorry that Lucy cannot talk to you significantly anymore. It would help if you join some support group locally and talk about it or share it with other people who have been through this. It is like you are missing her now but she is still with you. Cherish whatever is left with her and share with other friends. I know this does not replace such relationship. It is the sad part of this. We did miss the normal Dad-son relationship when my late FIL was sick with Alzheimer's. My husband could no longer talk to his Dad about real stuff anymore. All we had left was to deal with his fantasy at work.
Yes the first few years with my late FIL when I first married was the good ones. I got good impression because he was still normal. After he got sick and everything we went through, I knew my late FIL more given his honest remarks during his sickness. Yes he was demented but I can still tell that he meant this or that - it is part of his habit and personality. It is not total nonsense. I can see him through the talk. But it was not the original him and we could not reason with him anymore. How I wish we could have done this or that with my late FIL...
We learned to cherish whatever was left with my late FIL and took care of him as it was our duty. Nothing else can replace such relationship. It was a long goodbye (the whole thing started in late 2004.)

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Regards,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 10-04-2012 at 12:57 PM.