View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Are there people whose bodies just won't adapt to metformin?

I agree with Cora...you may have to cut back even more. In fact, you may want to stop the metformin until your digestive tract gets back to normal and then start the metformin at just 250 mg/day for a while, then very gradually work up to the corrective dose. Perhaps a week or two at 250 once a day, then a week or two at 250 twice a day, then a week or two of 500/250...etc. Although I've never taken metformin myself, I've seen other people say that by doing that very gradual introduction they were able to tolerate it and eventually get up to a therapeutic dose.

But, in the final analysis, if you absolutely can't tolerate the metformin, then insulin is a good way to go. However, I wouldn't recommend the 70/30 mix...it really does not do a good job of controlling blood sugars. The best way to go with insulin is to learn how to count carbs, and then take a long-acting insulin for basal needs (like Levemir or Lantus) and a rapid-acting insulin before each meal (like humalog or novolog.) When you count carbs, you and your doctor figure out what your insulin-to-carb ratio should be and then at each meal you figure out how many carbs you'll be eating, and bolus the rapid-acting insulin accordingly. There definitely is a learning curve (one to two months), but after a while you get pretty darned good at estimating carbs and then you're matching your insulin to your carbs. This gives the best control possible on insulin.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 10-04-2012 at 12:44 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
Perfumed Fan (10-04-2012)