View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
(female)

mery HB User
I did NOT spoil him!

Hi new here. From the time my 8 year old son was an infant, I knew something was not normal. After he was born, he refused a bottle no matter how hungry he was. I had to stop working because he was starving himself. We thought he was just being stubborn. When it came time for baby-food, again he refused until I finally had to (gently) force it into his mouth. This I had to do every time I introduced a new food. Again we thought he was stubborn. When it came time to get him off the breast, he completely resisted, in fact the more I tried to ween him the worse he got. Stubborn! This continued with every milestone. As he got older it got worse. Everything had to be "just so". He would only eat certain foods. Everyone said I spoiled him. His cloths had to be just right. I pick his shoes out by putting my hands inside them and if I feel the slightest bump, I can't get them as he will not where them. In fact I(by his request) would just end up getting him the very same shoes, but bigger, every year. He just does not like change of any kind, but I was spoiling him. I have to put his socks on inside out and I have to cut the sides or else he will feel them and that just won't work. So all his socks have holes in them, but he is just picky and spoiled(that what everyone said anyway). At school he has NO friends and perfectly happy with it. He does not like going places. Not even birthday parties! Even of he knows the kid having a party. Even his own cousins! When we go to my nephews b-day parties he refuses to participate. In fact he does not like to go anywhere if there is people around. He will not allow anyone,including his Dad,siblings,or Grandparents, to do anything for him. It has to be me. But I was spoiling him! Not being tough enough! I was being a bad parent! nevermind i have 3 other kids! Yes one was ADHD yet he is a well rounded, happy,healthy, independent teen. The other 2 are completely normal. Yet I was being a bad parent. Everyone said I should force him to do this and that. Yet I knew it was more then that. I knew I did not spoil him that bad. Then someone brought ASD to my attention. I did some research and came across Asperger's syndrome and for the first time it all started to make since! It fit him. We are now in the process of getting a diagnosis. We have seen a pedi. Neurologist and we are about to get an MRI and generic testing to rule out "organic" causes. At first he was put on Vyvanse but it caused his slight tic to become very bad. He is now on intuniv and that has helped his impulsiveness a lot. Now we just wait until we get test results back and get him in to see someone to make an official diagnosis so we can get him the help WE need in order for him to learn how to deal with social interaction and skills so he can lead a normal productive, successful life.

The Following User Says Thank You to mery For This Useful Post:
dkw46 (11-30-2012)