View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
(female)

agapegranny HB User
pain meds making me so sleepy

I really don't know what to do about my pain control. I feel lost. My Dx of Fibromyalgia was in 2003 after 3 yrs of wondering what was going on. I could no longer work anymore. Not just the pain, but my mental 'Fog' affected my ability to work well. Slowly over time pain increased though I was able to control it with 10 - 12 Tylenol 3s per day. Eventually my GP said that was bad for my liver and put me on another pain med whose name is similar to oxycontin. Pain has increased and worsens with stress which I have a lot of now looking after my husband. Now I am trying to find something that will help control my pain as it continues to worsen and not make me too sleepy to function during the day. My husband has worsening Parkinson's and I need to be there for him because I am still healthier than him, but it is getting very difficult. Because of the Fibro, I don't have a good memory.
My doctor (GP) is very good at Rx'ing me what I ask for and suggesting things, (but I don't know what to ask for).

The slow release doesn't seem to help me at all. My pain starts to climb after 5-6 hours. Right now I am taking Codeine Contin 100 mg ( 2 - 4 times a day) along with Oxycodone HCL 10 mg (2 - 4 times a day). It makes the pain manageable, but many days I can hardly keep my eyes open. I need to do the driving and on those sleepy days, I cannot safely drive.
Can someone advise me - do most people get sleepy and have trouble keeping their eyes open when taking pain meds? Back when the pain wasn't too b ad and I just took Tylenol Threes ( 2-3 every 4 - 5 hours) I was not sleepy at all.

I also have to be careful with costs as I am sure many of you do too.
I appreciate any help you can give me.

Agapegranny