View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Understanding my dads blood test results.

I don't think your dad is in any danger of having a heart attack because his cholesterol is a little high. Exercise is one of the best things he can do, so encourage him to continue. There are differing opinions on the effects of cholesterol on heart related diseases. I encourage you and your dad to do some research before he decides whether he wants to take statins. Studies show that just as many people have heart attacks with low/normal cholesterol as those with high cholesterol. Some doctors over prescribe, IMHO, and immediately want patients to go on some sort of drug when tweaking one's diet and exercise regimen will do the trick. Cholesterol is not a bad thing. Our bodies need it in order to function properly. Tell your dad to stop stressing (you too ) and become proactive about researching pros and cons on the cholesterol debate. I wish you both well.

The following user gives a hug of support to rudiraven:
Pikel (10-06-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to rudiraven For This Useful Post:
Pikel (10-06-2012)