View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Need Help decided what to do and understanding results

I'm a bit confused now...LOL...

Have you had 3 MRIs? One from 2006, 2008, and then recently in 2012?

The first post contains the one from this year...correct?

I personally recommend seeing a Board Certified Neurosurgeon. They usually specialize in the cervical spine more than even BC Orthopedic surgeons.

I would only have surgery if 2 and even 3 of the BC Neurosurgeons are saying the exact same thing is wrong and exact same recommendation of type of surgery.

A Neurologist may recommend surgery but they aren't the one to perform it so I would be meeting with actual BC Neurosurgeons who are skilled in performing these types of surgeries.

Obviously no one here is a medical professional and we are just giving our thoughts/suggestions based on our own personal experiences.

From what your MRI states...it looks good that the colloid cyst has gotten smaller. And the only real issue with possible surgical intervention needed is in between C5-C6. This is one of the most common areas for disc issues in the cervical area.

Just so you can understand....the first letter is the area of the spine. C=Cervical. And the number is the vertebrae. Discs are the material (soft cushion) in between the vertebrae.

Spinal stenosis is the narrowing of the spinal column that can cause pressure on the spinal cord, or narrowing of the openings (called neural foramina) where spinal nerves leave the spinal column.

Disc osteophyte complex is a way of saying you have bone spurs on the vertebrae.

When your spine starts to weaken whether due to aging, obesity, smoking, or overexertion....the body tries to produce extra nodules of bone to both reinforce the structural integrity of the spine and to limit the spines mobility.

Our bodies are trying to be helpful! LOL

May I ask your age and whether you smoke and are at a healthy weight?

These are all important factors into deciding surgery or whether you can do other non surgical means to help this situation.

In all these years have they sent you to physical therapy and traction? Have they used any injections to help with pain or symptoms? How about use of medications like nerve pain meds or muscle relaxers?

Again...I would meet with 2-3 BC Neurosurgeons who do not know one another and get their honest opinions on whether you can be treated non surgically or not. And then if you need surgery....there are other options besides a fusion that can be done as well.

Good luck..

The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovemycutedog For This Useful Post:
Smokey2065 (10-05-2012)