View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: I messed up and not sure what to do?

I'm truly not trying to be snarky but provide information.

The contract that I have is not that you contact the Dr. after you get any meds but beforehand. The only time this isn't possible is if someone is actually unconscious or in an accident being transported by an ambulance.

My Dr. would expect me to call him if I was having any extra pain or needed to seek out care with another Dr. for pain. Even if it's after hours or on a weekend...every Dr. has an after hours service where you can leave a message. It's asking them permission to get another prescription for an opiate or if they want to up the dosage of the one you are on now.

So...just trying to help for if you sign another one that you really understand what it's purpose is. As I wrote, the DRs. who prescribe opiates are under great pressure from the state and the DEA these days with having impeccable records and have to explain everything in great detail if a patient of theirs fills prescriptions for opiates from other Drs. That is why they had to dismiss you after it happened more than once. Many places do it immediately the first time around.

Anyway...as we said...all you can do is go forward...not trying to harp on it.

The other treatment for Neuropathy is as follows...

Other medications besides the ones I listed are Topamax, Carbatrol, Tegratol, or even Dilantin. I happened to use Cymbalta and it worked very well for me...What dosage did you start on?

With many meds...you need to take them at least a month (barring an actual emergency allergic reaction)....as sometimes fatigue or nausea can happen but it usually goes away after that time.

So..just in case you wanted to try that again..and even if there is nausea that stays...there are medications like Phenegran or others that can help with that. It all depends on severity and the pros of the nerve pain med outweighing the cons.

There is also a cream called Capsaicin. It is a naturally occurring substance found in hot peppers but many people with Neuropathy swear by it and it is Dr. recommeded.

There are also Lidocaine patches. These can be placed directly on the areas that give you the most pain.

There is something called a TENS unit (Transcutaneous Nerve Stimulation)...these are found inexpensivley online and you can by them used if needed. If that ends up working well...there is a permanent unit called a SCS unit that you can get surgically implanted. The Spinal Cord Stimulator has worked very well for many people who have nerve pain issues.

Tricyclic antidepressants have been known to help those with Neuropathy. Either amitriptyline or nortriptyline especially.

And then the other things I mentioned which are daily exercise. Not smoking, eating healthy meals, limit alcohol.

Acupuncture and massage is also helpful.

Treating Neuropathy or any chronic condition really takes using as many modalities as possible so that each one can take even the tiniest edge off to all add up to a decent amount enough to live a good life.

As I said earlier...believe me...I completely understand, as we all do on here, what it is like to live with chronic pain.

Keep us posted..

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 10-05-2012 at 02:42 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovemycutedog For This Useful Post:
Iowa1976 (10-07-2012)