View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Active Young People Who Have Had A Hip Replacement

Hi there -- welcome! I've had three hip scopes (first at age 30) and still struggle with pain. I almost wish they had replaced the joint.

I am back to swimming, 2500-3000 yards 3-4 times per week. I can cycle, but only on a stationary bike, and I put the seat up very high to avoid that "closed seated" position.

I realize that you are working with your PT and MD, but here are some ideas for returning to activity. If you have access to a pool, you could either walking or aqua-jog. The water will decrease the amount of pressure on the joint and provide resistance to help you rebuild muscles. The more muscle strength you have, the more supported your new joint will be. Yoga or Pilates might be good options, but make sure you are clear on positions to avoid. (I mention this because replaced hips can dislocate, which sounds incredibly awful, but you probably already know this.)

As far as resuming activity while avoiding pain, listen to your body. Recognize the difference between the types of pain that come with work and with tissue damage. I advocate a ten percent approach: find a level of activity you can tolerate, then add ten percent per week. Increase either intensity or duration, but not both in the same week. This should help you avoid injury, which could lead to a drop-off in activity.

I hope your recovery goes smoothly!