Thread: Hsv 1 genitally
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
(male)

KB65534 HB User
Re: Hsv 1 genitally

Its really not that big of a deal. That vast majority of the population will test positive for at least one of HSV I or HSV II. Also, the CDC believes that a lot of people have genital herpes but do not know it. For these reasons, I don't entirely agree with other responses on this board. Yes, I think you should definitely tell her, but I don't think you should make such a big event out of it. Its nothing to be ashamed of. The bigger the deal you make out of telling her, the greater the chances are that she will react as if you are telling her you have some horrible disease that will make her grow a horn from her forehead. Chill out.

I was incorrectly diagnosed with genital herpes two years ago. I have since found out that what I had was a fungal infection (and to which I am becoming more and more prone to having). I've had several blood tests for herpes recently, they all come back negative.

When I thought I did have herpes, I educated myself about it, and realized that it is just not that big of a deal. Now that I know I don't have it, my attitude has not changed. I don't know how old you are, but I recall in the mid 1980's when information about genital herpes started to become widely known, the media discussed it as though it was some horrible disease, reserved only for the damned and the democrats. Its not so.

To answer your question directly: it makes no difference how long you have known here. It is what it is. If you're going to have sex with her, not telling her in advance is immoral. There is no such thing as a safe time for sex either. You can infect another even when you have no apparent outbreak. The fact that you are asking the question means you are a person with decent morals. Just tell her, but try to pretend like you are telling her that your big toe is deformed or something like that. How difficult would that be?

As people become better educated about it, I think there will be less and less prejudice. Its not leprosy. Relax. Good luck.