Thread: Walking
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
(female)

bearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB User
Walking

My mom had a hip operation because a lady who lived in the nursing home pushed my mom and she fell and broke her hip.

That was back in August of 2012. She is hobbling along like my mom would say and she uses the walker sometimes. When I remind her when I visit it with her. I don't know what she does when I'm not with there. Of course she doesn't remember having the operation. The dementia has gotten worse after the operation. My mom is unable to converse with me like she did. Now we just seem to talk about the weather and look out the window of her room and talk about whatever she sees outside. It is so sad. I find it very hard because I try to talk about something with her but then sometimes there is silence and I feel so uncomfortable just sitting there just the two of us.

The staff tell me she uses the walker sometimes and other times they have seen her walking without it. She doesn't remember that she has to use the walker. She calls it a chair.

My question is if she keeps this up will her leg heal and then she'll be able to walk in 3 months, 6 months etc. without the walker close to how she was before the operation or will she be the same 3, 6, 9 months from now if she continues what she is doing now. She is also doing no physio because she doesn't want to do it. So I think the staff have given up on trying.

Any ideas please.

Thank you

Elaine