View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: 5 days post ACDF, trouble talking, weak hand

Hi there...

I have had 3, two-level, cervical fusions...and what my last Neurosurgeon told me was it's all about how delicate the surgeon is. Some can be great surgeons...but are a little more "rough" when it comes to moving around your vocal cords when getting to the disc space.

So, this sounds like the reason why you are having problems in that area. Try to continue with warm liquids and actually not trying to talk much because the straining will make it last longer.

As far as the weakness goes...again, during this surgery there are millions of nerve endings and larger nerves that are moved and aggravated. With the inflammation inside from this type of surgery....it can take time for the nerves to calm back down.

Obviously it's good to be letting the Dr. know of all of these symptoms to make sure they are keeping track....but they should all get better in the next weeks or so.

Just keep following ALL the Drs. orders with both rest and walking around little by little throughout the day.

Keep us posted..