View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
(female)

Peyjad HB User
Question Perimenopause or Thyroid?

Hello everyone! I am getting more confused the more I read into both Perimenopause and Thyroid disorders.

I am 43 years old and have been having symptoms of what could be both I think, for about 3 years.

It started with shorter cycles every few months, probably 3 years ago. I was 28 day exactly before. Now its a regular occurrence happening monthly and I get my period every 24-26 days. Every once in a while it will be 30 day cycle. Sometimes, it will start with brown spotting for a day or two than massive for a day than hardly anything for 1 or 2 more days. Sometimes it is a typical cycle for me lasting 5 days. It seems like if my period only lasts 2-3 days, the next month is pretty heavy the first day.

I also notice I can cry, totally freak out on my poor Husband and son or be happy as a lark all in the same hour. I get massive fatigue, instantly, like I could just fall asleep right there with no warning and it will pass in 15 minutes or so.

I have noticed my hair is thinning out on the sides and don't get me started on my wrinkles! I swear I have aged 5 years for every year since age 40!

My weight, or where I carry it, is changing too. I can loose 2 pounds but gain it back in my thighs only. I am not overweight at all, probably low end of normal for my height, but my jeans are getting tighter around my thighs more and more every year.

I get what feels like beginnings of cramping in my calf but the cramps never really come. I also notice my feet feel hot sometimes like burning hot.

I have ZERO interest or urge for sex and feel so bad about that sometimes.

I also get heart palps and 3 years ago were so bad I had a holter monitor, EKG and nuclear stress test. all turned up nothing.

There are times too where I get really shaky for a few minutes. I used to think it was because I was hungry, but I notice it too sometimes when I am not.

I have severe anxiety at times worrying about silly things that are completely out of my control, along with believing I have every disease under the sun. this isn't constant but when I start on it, it can hang around for a while. I do have stress in my life that I cannot change unfortunately so I'm sure this contributes somewhat.

I know I am missing a lot but right now this is all I can think of. I did have labs done a few times and once for my hormones, here is my most recent from March 26 2012

Free T4 1.0 (0.6-1.6 ref range)
TSH 1.40 (0.30-5.00)
Free T43 2.6 (2.5-3.9)

LH 1.1
FSH 3.9

I take some vitamins and mineral too:

Daily vit, Magnesium, Vit D, Vit B12, Calcium adn Vit C

I do have my annual exam next week at my Gyno and was going to discuss my concerns with her than but in the mean time, I was hoping to get some thoughts from you (and any advice on questions?)

Thank you so much for reading this and giving me advice with this!

Last edited by Peyjad; 10-10-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: adding info