View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
(male)

CharlotteY HB User
Re: Dizzy, loud ringing in right ear

I have read countless stories of people with similar complaints: a spaced-out feeling, dizziness, unsteadiness, tinnitus and other problems you haven't mentioned (pressure sensation in head and/or ear, sometimes hearing loss, neck pain). There are many different vestibular problems that manifest with these same symptoms so it can be very difficult to receive a correct diagnosis.

Conditions such as MAV (migraines), vestibular neuronitis, labs, cervico-genic vertigo, post-BPPV syndrome and Meniere's Disease all have very similar symptoms with just a few hallmarks that stand out.

I have been seen more doctors/physical therapists/chiropractors/accupunturists than I can count. Each one kind of scratched their head and then threw out a guess as to what I had.

I'm now just over six months with my progressive symptoms and nothing has helped. I now believe that modern medicine has not advanced enough to be of much assistance in the majority of vestibular issues. The good news is that most people do eventually recover on their own.

My suggestion is to not return to the ENT; they are useless when it comes to vestibular problems. Seek out an oto-neurologist (and ENT or neurologists with fellowship training in vestibular disorders). There is usually at least one in major metropolitan areas.

Best of luck to you. I know first-hand how disruptive this can be to one's life. The odds are in your favor that you will get better. Most people do recover so take heart in that. You probably will and then will emerge on the "other side" with more empathy for others and a greater appreciation of your health.