View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User
Re: pain meds making me so sleepy

Hey, Granny I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering form Fibro. My brother's wife has fibromyalgia as well. She uses 25 mg of Elavil (amitriptyline) at bedtime which is a tricyclic antidepressant and is commenly used for various pain disorders, but can be sedating that's why it is used at bedtime. Also she takes Neurontin (Gabapentin) it is also helpful for some types of nerve pain, but it too can be a little sedating. These meds are both worth trying and remember that everybody reacts differently to meds. Now in the begining they will likely be a bit sedating but give them a chance before discontinuing them. You may find that by taking a small dose of Elavil (10 mg)at bedtime very effective and it is commenly used for Fibro pain. The Gabapentin that I mentioned is almost Identical to one of the only drugs approved for Fibromyalgia which is Lyrica (Pregabalin) and their is a generic for it here in Canada so it is much cheaper than it once was. I would have recommended the Lyica but it is very expensive and their isn't a generic yet.
You also mentioned that you were taking 10 to 12 tylenol 3's /day. Now their is 30 mg of Codeine per tablet plus the tylenol, so you were taking between 300 mg to 360 mg /day of codeine. The 100 mg of Codiene Contin (which is a slow release Codeine formulation available here in Canada, not in USA) you are taking 2 to 4/day which would be 200 mg to 400 mg of Codiene, so maybe you should just stick to 3 a day dosed every 8 hrs which is how it is commenly dosed. When you were taking the Tylenol 3's you said you were not tired and you were taking up to 360 mg of Codeine a day, so by sticking to taking only 3 a day of the Codeine Contin you will be getting only 300 mg of Codeine. Maybe it's only when you take that 4th Codeine Contin that you are more tired? putting you over the 360 mg of Codeine you were used to.

Another option is Wellbutrin (Buproprion) which my brothers wife also takes with the Elavil and Gabapentin and they are o.k to take together. It is an antidepressant different than all the others in a class of it's own. It is non drowsy and some people even find it stimulating.

Ultram (Tramadol) it is about equal to Codeine in strength and works with a dual mechanism of action: Through the Opioid system and also as an antidepressant.
These are all just options that may help you and that you may want to research and mention to your Doctor. I hope you find something that helps your pain without the sedation, see ya.

Last edited by ruko4; 10-13-2012 at 06:51 AM.