View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
(female)

Gabriella777 HB UserGabriella777 HB User
Re: lab results, but still have symptoms :(

Yes, I was diagnosed with hashimoto's. Interestingly, I tested a couple of times over the years. Yes, the numbers did get better after a few years on Armour Thyroid. Then I made the mistake of going to another uninformed Dr. who told me to stop the medication, that my lab tests were "normal". I would heed the advice of people here and learn from me if you can. Just because lab tests say one thing, "normal", you may feel a bunch of symptoms that simply do not match "normal". The body is looking for homeostasis and when we are out of balance we have symptoms. Since our bodies do not verbalize what is wrong, it lets us know something is amiss by the physical symptoms we experience.
I learned that not all Dr.'s understand hashimoto's nor what havoc it can have on your life. I would bring my thyroid books into the Dr.'s office and they looked at me like I had 2 heads. I found some Dr.'s do not like to be questioned.
Yes, now I am on Armour Thyroid, 60 mg two times per day. Just started this past week and already I see a difference in a few symptoms. I was amazed when I saw my fingernails start to grow and they became stronger. I am less depressed. Looks like I needed the T4 after all according to Total T4 lab test. (I am going for the free T3 and free T4 this coming week)
I had been taking Cytomel which is just T3, because I was low in lab results 6 months ago. From what I have learned on this site I want to take a look at why my Dr. is suggesting the cytomel and armour at the same time. What I did notice is that my hair falling out, unable to lose weight at all, feeling very depressed and weak fingernails came about when taking Cytomel 25mg twice per day for the past 6 months. (This may not happen to everyone, but I am seeing everyone reacts differently to different medications) I cut back taking Cytomel when I started the Armour. I have researched Cytomel and different people have different experiences with it.
I am still learning and making every effort to understand why i was getting such extreme symptoms the past couple of months.
It seems the more we learn, the better we are equipped to search out a good doctor who will really help us get to a stable place.
When I saw your first posting, I just had to let you know you are not alone. I have had almost all of the same symptoms as you described. I reached out to you because I would encourage you to take a proactive approach. Confidence comes with educating yourself. If I had spent more time studying, I would have not listened to a Dr. tell me to 'just watch it" or it's no big deal. Now I will make every effort to learn from others and study, after all it is my day to day wellness I am learning about! Hey Fresno, anytime you need support, just let me know. I am still asking many questions myself concerning this disease, but I sure do have empathy and compassion for what you are going through.