View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: When does BMP finish growing or fusing?

A huge number of surgeons are or were on the payroll at Medtronic, so it is hard to figure out whether that has any influence on your surgeon or not.

When I had my first fusion in 2008 I was new to all this and I just trusted my surgeon. I had consulted with 8 different surgeons over a two year period before I finally decided to have the surgery, and had decided on the one that worked best for me...so when he told me what he'd do (in about 20 words, as I recall) BMP was not mentioned and I'd never heard of it at that point anyway, so it wouldn't have made any difference. I wasn't keen on the idea of having bone harvested from my iliac crest as I'd heard in many cases that surgical site remained more painful post surgery than the actual spine surgery.

I often wonder if some of the people who end up with "failed back surgery syndrome" after fusion are having issues due to BMP used in their surgeries. I think it is probably still too early to know the full impact of BMP, especially in long-range issues like the development of cancer, etc.

Frankly it seems to me that, at least in my experience, surgeons seem to shrug off our concerns a bit too easily. BMP makes their job easier...and, after all, it isn't going into their bodies....

You have a big decision to make. I do not envy you.