View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

lorac1229 HB User
Question Pain Below Sternum

I am new here...just joined today and was hoping that someone here could help me.....PLEASE! I have GERD with Barrett's Esophagus which no longer resoponds to medication. Lately, along with the constant heartburn from the acid reflux, I have been having some pretty significant pain in the middle of my chest just below my sternum. It is not like the burn from reflux, but more like pain from like an injury. It is almost always present to some extent and ranges in intensity from a dull ache to an almost unbearable pain which makes it hard to breathe and doubles me over. When I eat, it almost feels like food is getting slowed down or stuck for a short time in the bottom of my esophagus making the pain worse until the food passes through into my stomach. Along with this new pain, my reflux has gotten much worse and I am also having some regurgitation, sore throat, and coughing. What I want to know, I think, is if this is anything to be worried about. I know that the Barrett's is a pre cancerous condition, so could this possibly be the beginning of Esophageal cancer? I have no idea what the early symptoms of this disease are, I just know that I am really suffering with this new pain. However, I don't want to bother a dr for something trivial. Can soneone please help? Has anyone else ever had these symptoms? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.