View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Pain after Microdisectomy? Any help appreciated!

Some of these activities may be considered "moderate" under certain circumstances, but not when you are discussing the healing of a disc. Tennis and golf both involve a great deal of torque and twisting. And it is the combination of doing that movement while at the same time exerting physical force (to hit the ball) that causes the issues.

I can think of about ten better physical activities to strengthen lower back muscles than jogging. PTs or spine surgeons will sometimes acquiesce to light running if a patient loves it and fervently wants to continue to run, but I can't imagine someone recommending it over other less harmful options, especially for rehab.

Since you were jogging and since you now have sciatic pain, I would suggest that next time around you wait until you are completely healed before resuming running. I know it can be done. My husband is an avid runner and he hated being sidelined while his ruptured disc healed. He ruptured his disc the day before Christmas, had no surgery, and I think he resumed mild running at some point during the following summer. He did give up playing ice hockey though.