View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
(female)

lorac1229 HB User
Unhappy Re: Pain Below Sternum

Thanks so much for your answer! I hope that what you told me turns out to be true but I am still afraid for a few reasons: I have suffered from GERD since I was 17 and am no stranger to the pain from a hiatal hernia and reflux together as I had that before they did my Nissen Fundoplication and hiatal hernia repair way back in 1998. The Fundoplication has now failed and my last couple of scopes have shown a new hiatal hernia along with all of the damage and the Barrett's in my esophagus.. so I should be used to the symptoms caused by that stuff. I have never in my long history with this mess felt this type or intense of pain and that is what has me really scared. I am significantly overweight so the dr won't operate to fix my Fundoplication or repair my hernia at this time even though Barrett's is pre cancerous. So, until I can lose the excess weight,I will just live in fear between my scopes hoping that cancer doesn't develop. I was diagnosed with my Barrett's about five years ago and have had to have yearly scopes since that time to keep an eye on things and do biopsies. My next scope will be in January but I honestly don't know if I will be able to live with this pain until that time! At this time, I take 40mg of Omeprazole twice a day as well as Zantac 150mg as needed throughout the day and night with no relief from my symptoms. They tell me that no other medications will help my condition. What can I do? I will just hope that what your dr told you is what is going on with me and suffer away....thanks again for your answer! I hope you feel better. Any more hints/suggestions? I am feeling rather desperate....