View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: endstage liver disease

So sorry to hear about what you are going through. My late husband contracted Hep C - never sure where - way back, had been told he had it but was never monitored as he should have been. Neither of us was aware of the dangers or risks, and my late husband was diagnosed with liver cancer on 11/11/2011. He passed on 4/27/2012, way more quickly than either of us were expecting.

My husband never really had the opportunity to fully take advantage of all that hospice could offer. They entered the picture just over 24 hours before he died. However, some of the things he went through were:

1. A lot of sleeping, very little energy

2. No appetite, and a lot of things would upset his stomach. I went with whatever he could eat: pudding and jello, lots of juice, and Ensure.

3. He complained of upset stomach (not sure if that was true), but he wanted Tums and I simply gave them to him. They made him feel better.

4. He had a lot of bathroom issues, specifically constipation.

5. He would become bloated because he would fill with fluid. This would cause a good deal of discomfort, and we would go to the Doctor/ER and they would drain his abdomen. He would be more comfortable; however, this was only temporary. He would fill with fluid again, and even more and more quickly than before. Be prepared for this. This is something that happens with liver disease.

6. Pain. I don't think I fully comprehended exactly how much pain my husband was in. It's important to give him access to as much pain medication as is necessary to make him comfortable.

My heart really goes out to you. This is a difficult place for anyone to be. Make the most of having your husband in your life. Treasure every moment. Sending hugs and prayers your way.

The following user gives a hug of support to Chele60:
ladylegg (10-18-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Chele60 For This Useful Post:
ladylegg (10-18-2012)