View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: My friend making bad decisions with her 15yo daughter

Hello.

Have you expressed your concerns about K to your friend? I can understand your friend's desire to trust and respect the privacy of her daughter. However, K may not be completely honest with her mother about difficult and delicate matters like struggling with cutting and an eating disorder. Oftentimes there are a lot of stigma and shame associated with these types of behavior.

When I started cutting as a teenager, it's a habit I did in secret and tried to keep it hidden as much as possible. I didn't want to talk to anyone about it for fear of being judged, embarrassed or stigmatized. Even now it's something that's really hard for me to talk about in person. It's only when I feel I can really trust someone and I know they understand the reasons why people cut do I dare talk about my experiences with cutting.