View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
(male)

strifer HB User
Food Slow to Go Down or Getting Stuck in Esophagus

Good evening everyone. 27 year old male.

My primary complaint for a few years has been that food is slow to go down my esophagus, or doesn't go down at all. I have no difficulty with the voluntary "swallowing" action. The problem is typically with bready or starchy things. Pizza, pasta, burgers, crackers, etc. The food will pass down my throat, and feels as if it slows to a halt somewhere along the way, before it gets to my stomach. I gulp down a liquid to clear it out. It happens frequently, almost every time I eat the above mentioned foods. I've accepted the practice of never eating unless there is a drink nearby.

To the extent that it's useful, I also have a chronically irritated throat and post-nasal drip. I don't often have heartburn. Very occasionally, and usually only when I go to bed.

I've had an upper endoscopy and an upper GI series fluoroscopy. Doctor observed bad irritation of the lower esophagus, and noted a hiatal hernia.

Prescribed 40 mg Nexium daily, which I took for a few months, then stopped. I can't recall why...perhaps because my insurance company didn't cover it, and at >$100 per bottle, it was easy to sacrifice. I don't remember a substantial improvement while I was on it. I don't know if a longer period of therapy is necessary before improvement would be noted, or if the treatment was simply not responsive to my swallowing condition.

I had kind of ignored the swallowing problem for a while, but have recently been increasingly bothered by it. I bought 4 boxes of the Prilosec OTC, which I understand has mixed reviews here. Until I can go back to the GI, I see no harm in trying them.

I've seen this symptom associated with LPR on these forums, but I'm not clear on whether the sensation of stuck food is indeed that which is described by other sufferers. If so, why did the Nexium not help? The GI mentioned a manometry, but it sounded so unpleasant, I never scheduled it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Has anyone had the same sort of symptom and found any relief? Thank you all.