View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: new to the board....

My late FIL didn't really talk to himself or see delusions. His delusions were based upon real people around him. He had Alzheimer's and died with severe stage at an old age.
Indeed his behaviors would have made us feel strange or annoyed or even hurt. Sometimes I felt sorry or sad for him realizing he was very sick with memory loss. When he thought the tv show was for his own research and asked us to write his papers; when he forgot his computer and asked us to use computer to do his research again... I really felt sorry for him. That was my first reaction.
But once you understand your Mom's behavior is from dementia, then you can just ignore it knowing it is her disease. Maybe she needs to join day care center to have some activities.
It is common for demented person to have delusions. This part may not be due to sundowning but she sure would do more of these things after sunset as she would feel lonely or depressed.
It is good that your Mom is Ok so far and you are now retired. Now you can try to understand dementia. Yet if you can, try to get her diagnosed with the type of dementia (Alzheimer's or vascular dementia?) It makes a difference. She would get worse later on given dementia, so be prepared that she will have more behavior issues.

Regards,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 10-23-2012 at 01:31 PM.