View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User
Re: Feel very guilty about spanking my 6 year old daugther.

I don't think you are a bad parent at all! But I support spankings. Not beatings, but spankings. There's a huge difference between the two and when people get crazy about spankings, they act as if they are the same and they are not. Also, it should be a last resort, which it sounds like it was. And she behaved afterwards, didn't she? Sometimes they need that. Kids need to have some a little amount of fear I think. Today's children walk over their parents and show them no respect. When spankings were "ok" this wasn't a problem.
I think you opened her eyes that there are repercussions for her bad behavior. I think before that she may have acted out because she was a little spoiled and thought no matter what she did she could and would get her way. Well you taught her last night that YOU are the parent. Just that one spanking could have changed her way of thinking and her behavior, and you may never need to do it again!
Again, no--you're not a bad parent! It was necessary. It wasn't a beating. You were probably more traumatized over it than she was! Thus goes the saying I heard from my parents when i was a child "this hurts me a lot more than it hurts you".

Last edited by Administrator; 10-28-2012 at 08:06 PM.