View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
(female)

ItsMeG HB UserItsMeG HB UserItsMeG HB User
Re: Food Slow to Go Down or Getting Stuck in Esophagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by strifer View Post
Good evening everyone. 27 year old male.

My primary complaint for a few years has been that food is slow to go down my esophagus, or doesn't go down at all. I have no difficulty with the voluntary "swallowing" action. The problem is typically with bready or starchy things. Pizza, pasta, burgers, crackers, etc. The food will pass down my throat, and feels as if it slows to a halt somewhere along the way, before it gets to my stomach. I gulp down a liquid to clear it out. It happens frequently, almost every time I eat the above mentioned foods. I've accepted the practice of never eating unless there is a drink nearby.

To the extent that it's useful, I also have a chronically irritated throat and post-nasal drip. I don't often have heartburn. Very occasionally, and usually only when I go to bed.

I've had an upper endoscopy and an upper GI series fluoroscopy. Doctor observed bad irritation of the lower esophagus, and noted a hiatal hernia.

Prescribed 40 mg Nexium daily, which I took for a few months, then stopped. I can't recall why...perhaps because my insurance company didn't cover it, and at >$100 per bottle, it was easy to sacrifice. I don't remember a substantial improvement while I was on it. I don't know if a longer period of therapy is necessary before improvement would be noted, or if the treatment was simply not responsive to my swallowing condition.

I had kind of ignored the swallowing problem for a while, but have recently been increasingly bothered by it. I bought 4 boxes of the Prilosec OTC, which I understand has mixed reviews here. Until I can go back to the GI, I see no harm in trying them.

I've seen this symptom associated with LPR on these forums, but I'm not clear on whether the sensation of stuck food is indeed that which is described by other sufferers. If so, why did the Nexium not help? The GI mentioned a manometry, but it sounded so unpleasant, I never scheduled it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Has anyone had the same sort of symptom and found any relief? Thank you all.

Hi there! I was going through the same thing for almost all of 2011, and yes breads were the worst about passing at first and then it became almost everything I ate. I hated to eat in public and would never eat alone because it got so bad. I never experienced heartburn until a few months before the swallowing troubles came on.

Last December some roast actually got stuck in my esophagus and I had an emergency egd to remove it. I was put on Prilosec 40 mg. If I remember right the esophagus should heal in 3-4 months after treatment. It will relieve inflammation but I don't believe ppi's help with swallowing, they don't for me. I had an upper g.i. early January and was diagnosed with a schatzki's ring, gerd, and a small hiatal hernia. And at the end of January I had my esophagus dilated and a repeat egd which the biopsy showed eosinophilic esophagitis just the same as the emergency egd did when I had the meat removed in December.

Did you take the Nexium for at least that long? Do you know if your hiatal hernia is small? When you had the endoscopy the doctor didn't mention if you had any eosinophils in your esophagus? Eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) is an allergic inflammation of the esophagus that causes difficulty swallowing and stems from food allergies. And no mention of a stricture or ring, right? Hiatal hernia's normally don't cause trouble swallowing unless you have a ring or stricture too. The only other things I know of that cause swallowing issues are spasms and achalasia...did your doctor mention them? It sounds like you would benefit from the manometry.