View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
(male)

Tom Snow HB User
Re: Ankle Fusion vs BTK Amputation

Been a while since I have been on here. in view of some recent posts I thought I would give you guys an update about how things went.

I did decide to opt for the amputation route and after some minor complications regarding the rehab I had the operation November 2011.

After coming round from the anesthetic I felt instant relief, (maybe it was all the painkillers) but I think it was to do with not having that useless foot attached to me any more haha.

After spending a week in Hospital to allow for some recovery and the nerves to get use to nothing being there. I started the rehabilitation process. it took me approx 6 weeks of full time rehab to go from being in a wheelchair to walking unaided with a prosthetic limb.

It has now been a year and I feel I have a new lease of life, I can do everything I could do before: drive, walk for hours on end, rock climb, swim, cycle and am even having ski lessons.

Whilst I can appreciate that having an amputation will not be for everyone and would not like to recommend it as there are certain risks that thankfully I managed to avoid. I can try and answer any questions that people out there in a similar position may have.

Feel free to ask me any questions and I will try to answer them.

All the best

Tom