View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User
Re: 5 days post ACDF, trouble talking, weak hand

I had a 2 level earlier this year and had no problems at all with my voice. I guess it's like someone else said-it depends on how gentle the surgeon was when he went in.

I did have a sore throat for a couple of days post op(that was because of the breathing tube they put in) and up until a little over 8 months I had a weird feeling in my throat. My problems now are mainly due to the fact I had progressive myelopathy-my nerve damage was just halted by the surgery and I still have some pain and numbness in my left arm and my neck hurts on occasion but it's nothing like the pain before the surgery. Plus under my chin is still numb from the incision to my jaw. My surgeon said to give it 6 months-if it doesn't get better by then it's never going to. Minor things I can live with though. The voice is another thing.

I guess what I am saying is that everyone is different regarding the post op issues. I've read where they can damage the laryngeal nerve from this surgery and that might be what's happened to you. It might get better and it might not. The only person who is going to give you an answer is your surgeon or the PA. Good luck and I hope it gets better.