View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

Agreen0204 HB User
Angry Kidney stone issues... 3 weeks and counting! HELP

I will apologize in advance if this becomes a bit long, which it very well may...

I am a 30 year old female and about 3 weeks ago I went to the ER for the worst pain I had ever experienced in my life. Pain that shot from my lower back, around my left flank, into my abdomen, and I even vomited from the pain it was inflicting. (rare for me, as I have a high tolerance for pain) After sitting in the waiting room for almost an hour doubled over in pain, I finally got back to a room. They gave me morphine for pain, which did absolutely nothing, then they gave me an IV of dialudid(sp). Minutes after that IV the pain soothed then stopped. I had a CT scan done and was told I had 2 stones in my left kidney. One was 3.5mm the other was 2.5mm. I was prescribed flomax, oxycodone, and nausea medicine and sent home. The pain after a few hours had finally gone, and I simply had a "pressure" or "full" feeling in my bladder. However, they failed to give me a strainer at that time, and I had no idea about it, this being the first time I had ever had kidney stones. I read online about the strainer, and since I did not have one, I settled for urinating into a cup to see if I had passed anything. For that first week I drank water and cranberry juice like it was going out of style. After the first week and not finding anything in the cup I was using, I assumed that I had passed it and it had not noticed it, and stopped using the cup.

2 weeks (to the DAY) after the trip to the ER I had sudden pain in my lower back again, only this time it was not radiating around my flank, only in the back. It was pretty bad (especially when I tried walking), but I have a high tolerance for pain, and therefore took one of my oxycodone, laid down in bed, and rested. Finally the pain passed after a few hours and I felt fine again.

Yesterday (a week and a day after the last bout of pain) It hit me again, in the same place in my lower back and this time it was even worse then it was last week. I hadn't had much to eat earlier in the day, but still took an oxycodone without really thinking about it because the pain was getting so unbearable. Of course, within moments of taking that oxycodone I vomitted again. (Probably a mixture of pain, and taking that med on an empty stomach)

My husband came home from work, and we decided the best course of action was just to call the ambulance because last time I was sitting in the waiting room for so long, this could get me in faster. Of course, as my luck had it, the rooms were full and I was put in a wheel chair, and sent to the waiting room in the er. Slowly the pain stopped being constant, and started coming only in waves. After nearly 3-4 hours in the waiting room it had finally died down to nearly nothing, but I was determined I needed to find out what was going on so I waited anyway. (as luck has it I have no insurance so going home and making a DR appointment was not something I could afford to do at this time)

The DR came in and said this time he was just going to do an ultra sound and found no blockage or sign of a kidney stone, however the urine test they did, showed blood in my urine. This coupled with the fact I have been having pain (even if it has been intermittent), and my blood pressure was still high (even with the lack of pain) that he wanted me to see an urologist. They sent me home with more medication, and this time (at my request) 2 strainers. So today, I am making my calls trying to find somebody who will see me without insurance and on a payment plan.

What I am curious about is, what could be causing this kind of pain still. The DR said he saw no signs of kidney stones, the blood and urine tests ruled out kidney infection, yet I have blood in my urine, and still get that pain, almost every week! Obviously he thinks something is wrong if he wants me to see a urologist, what I can't understand is how I can have that kind of pain, have traces of blood in my urine and NOTHING be seen?