(female)

pearl240 HB User
Test Results: Vestibular neuronitis..questions

ENT says that I have:

1. Vestibular neuronitis - (Primary)
2. Hypoactive labyrinth unilateral
3. Peripheral vertigo NOS
4. Sensory hearing loss

Fluctuating pattern of mixed utricular saccular dysfunction and incomplete adaptation for loss of right superior vestibular nerve function. A superior vestibular nerve syndrome commonly involves both the otolithic organs as well as a semicircular canals. Especially does folks who have otolithic origin dysfunction have difficulty adapting and often have fluctuating symptoms over time, worse when stressed or when not sleeping well. Physical therapy is often helpful. Part of physical therapy should be use of specific visual focus while active.

Videonystagmography test: Unilateral weakness suggestive of right peripheral vestibular involvement. Downbeating nystagmus noted during positional tasks suggests utricule or saccule dysfundtion, although the literature commonly states CNS involvement.

----
I was having a horrible day and I didn't even know what to ask him. Where do I start and what does all of this mean? He said that it was probably caused by a virus but I've had this over 12 years and from what I've read it normally lasts months. And what is it the same as Meniere's? All of these years my doctors told me that my symptoms were caused by stress and since I also have RA I thought that the dizziness/vertigo/tennitus and everything else that comes with a vestibular problem was related to the RA.

Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to pearl240:
lovineachday (11-25-2012)