View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
(male)

Torontomichael HB User
Re: Sulphur burps, vomiting and diarrhea: recurring

I suffered from the exact same thing on and off as a child. I used to get it once a week, then every couple of weeks, then every month or so between the ages of 6 and 12. The smell of the burps was the worst because they were the first symptom to appear, so I knew I was in for vomiting and diarrhea for a couple of days. Doctors were no help; a few of them thought I was making it up because they had never heard of the condition before.
By the time I hit my teens, the problem had more or less gone away (maybe once a year), but I did have an episode about 5 years ago at the age of 35, although it was nowhere near as severe as it was when I was a child.

You may never find what the trigger is (I never did) but I wouldn't be concerned about any long-term effects. You can safely rule out your well water. I experienced these symptoms in multiple cities I lived in as a child.

Ginger-ale and Kraft Dinner were my best friends during these episodes. The carbonation of the ginger-ale was good because it lessened the smell of my burps, at least temporarily; the Kraft Dinner was easy to eat and easy to throw up.

My heart goes out to your children. I hope the symptoms lessen over time like mine did.

Last edited by Torontomichael; 11-03-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: additional info.