View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia and Muscle Atrophy

I think it's a great question you've asked. I think the answer is.............that depends..............If you don't use your muscles then there will be muscle atrophy. I'm sure lots of people with fibro do have muscle atrophy and may or may not know that this is the case as the problem with fibro as we all know that because we have constant pain it is often difficult to isolate and recognise other issues. So in order for this not to happen we need to keep moving those muscles and using weights. I've been good at keeping the exercise going but not using weights as I "hurt" after!!! I'm now seeing a personal trainer who has helped me work through this and I've been using 8kg kettle bells which I would never have believed. However I've developed tennis elbow in the last couple of weeks - booo - an old injury of 12 years ago which I stupidly forgot to tell my PT. I'm not seeing my PT now until early Dec but will ask him his view on your question