View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
(male)

mc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB User
Re: Pls tell me a cure for Alopecia

There are a ton of potential causes of hair loss. Hair loss with advancing age is generally thought to be an inevitable basically benign effect of aging. But besides that, poor eating and stress/frustration often cause or contribute to hair loss. At least if one's under 30, chances aren't bad it could grow back.

If it is gender-pattern hair loss, it may help to lower your testosterone level. (Yeah, even female pattern hair loss is testosterone related.) Eating less fat, dairy, chocolate, and limiting total calories can help lower testosterone. Less processed soy bean products (like edamame and tofu--but not most other soy things) have a testosterone-lowering effect as well.

Interestingly, some studies have shown that one particularly common cause of hair loss may be skin yeast (fungus) on the scalp--specifically Malassezia. It seems fungus might be involved in causing gender pattern hair loss.

I tried a few dandruff shampoos based on a study of 2% ketoconazole anti-fungal/dandruff shampoo for male pattern baldness. (A small study of men showed most under 30 could regrow some lost hair with that anti-fungal shampoo.)

I have found that switching to dandruff/anti-fungal shampoo has minimized my hair line receding (male pattern baldness). I haven't tried a lot of the shampoos available, but I really like Neutrogena T-Gel. It has pine tar for its anti-fungal action. Nizoral (1% ketoconazole) is supposed to be more effective, but the only demonstrably effective shampoo is prescription-only in the US (Nizoral 2%). Ketoconazole shampoo can be too strong for regular use. I believe it says to potentially only use weekly on the bottle (using a gentler shampoo other times). There might be better anti-fungal/dandruff shampoos in the UK.

It also seems to help to minimize dietary and other contributors to susceptibility to fungal infection generally, which makes sense. A more common fungus is candida. You could google "candida diet" to learn more about relevant dietary factors for candida, which are applicable to fungal infections generally. ((Basically it's just good healthy eating but also some specific things like avoiding alcohol, sugar, dairy products, high omega-6 fats (cottonseed, canola, soy, peanut, etc.), and especially avoiding most supplements (including vitamins and a lot of others things).))

If your hair loss could be fungal, it might help to wash bedding better and/or more often. Since learning about this, I always use a little borax when I wash bedding. It's a mild anti-fungal laundry wash additive. Of course some people might be allergic to the slight borax residue left in laundry (!)

So this has only been my experience, which I submit for your consideration. It might go without saying that it may not be applicable at all.

Last edited by mc7; 11-09-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: cut out parentheses