View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User
Re: Dad Diagnosed With Gleason (3+5)

If it is confirmed that he has Gleason 5 cells and with such a high PSA, I would worry that it is not confined to the prostate. My inclination for such high risk disease would be to use a multimodal therapy like hormone therapy (starting now and continuing 2 years after treatment) + brachytherapy boost to the prostate + external beam radiation. There are several good options in the Bay Area including the radiation oncology department at Stanford and at UCSF (I know of Dr. Carroll there by reputation).

You can plug his biopsy results into a nomogram (e.g., Memorial Sloane Kettering makes one available online) to see what the risk is that the cancer is not contained. Based on that, you may want to rule out surgery as an option.

If cancer is detected in his lymph nodes, that will change his treatment options.

- Allen