View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
(female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User
Re: 5 month old not sleeping well

Did your pediatrician want you to water down the liquid formula? Because I think that liquid formula already has water added to it, as opposed to powder which you have to add water to. You are supposed to just use it as it is and not water it down. So if you're watering it down even more, she's not receiving enough actual food and nutrients. Usually small babies don't need that much water unless they have constipation issues. There are specific formulas for gassiness which you can try. Is she eating any baby food? Doctors vary in thinking as to when you should start feeding a baby actual solid food. So you can probably start anywhere from 4-6 months of age, especially if she's really hungry. But I would try not watering down the formula at all first, then try food if that doesn't work. You can start her on Gerber's Baby Rice Cereal, and mix it with her milk. Also you can ask your pediatrician about starting her on 1st foods. That may cure her hunger at night, because it sounds like she is really hungry. Babies have several growth spurts during their first year, so she may be going through a growth spurt and need the extra calories, especially if she's trying to roll over/ learn to crawl, etc.
I think if you try some of these suggestions, you'll find she won't wake up as much at night.
Best wishes, K.