View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Initial MS Diagnosis/MRI question

I would caution you on herbal teas because herbal extracts can have pharmaceutical effects. When I lived in Asia, herbal teas were often used for various treatments. Herbs and supplements should all be noted in the information you give to your doctor. Green tea should be fine. I would not worry too much about eliminating caffeine and if you have an LP, you will benefit from caffeine.

I do not think your old cheer leading routines would be the right exercise but I think you understand the right direction to take. I started stretching because of muscle cramps, later my neuro told me to stick with it because of the beneficial effect it has on muscle memory.

I would love to workout in the pool, but we do not have one near my house. My main exercise is walking with my service dogs, my passive exercycle, stretching, and gardening/lawn work. For hand exercises, I still have my crochet needles at the ready. My rehab nurse told me Legos were good and we have many Lego sets to play with here.

Think about different things you can do for various scenarios. When I was stuck in my power chair I stretched, played Legos with my youngest, hunted and fished as well as gardened. Always have a "playbook" plan available and you cannot go wrong and never "beat yourself up" when you are unable to do something- be flexible and count your daily blessings. When I was bedridden due to MS seizures, I could still count my blessings and I could still do things and I still had my daily goals.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><