Thread: Incontinence
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Incontinence

Hi, Sunic, and welcome! I had urinary problems (frequency & urgency) before dx and still have them 10+ years later, to a lesser degree but still there.

Here are some things I've tried.
1. If it's really nasty, my GP tests for a UTI or stones. (I hardly ever have UTI's, but I did have tiny stones once, which led to a complete urinary blockage. You'd know if that happens: pass blood, then can't pass anything, extreme pain, and violent non-stop vomiting.)
2. Before my lupus dx, I saw several urologists. Both considered testing for INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS. But both decided not to test, because it's a knock-out test & they thought my #1 problem was something else.
3. I reported the problem to my rheumatologist when i was first dx'ed. He said "lupus cystitis" is possible but gave me no specific advice.
4. So I tried identifying foods/drinks that irritate, using lists available for Interstitial Cystitis as a starting point. Sure enough, caffeine, acid foods (like salad dressings), certain spices, carbonation, and alcohol (certain wines, especially) do annoy my bladder---but much more when I'm iffy overall. I actually can get away with those things at times, but at other times, no.
5. Good foods/drink? Drinking more water helps me some. I sometimes pop a few anti-acids to try to neutralize my urine.
6. Age? Well, that's not in my favor! I think post-menopausal women (I am) can have urinary issues simply due to age.

What has your doctor recommended? If "simple" UTI's aren't the cause, have you seen a urologist?

I hope this helps a bit, as I sure can identify with you on this. And I hope others chip in (we can't be alone in this?!), and that you post more soon. Best wishes, sincerely, Vee

The Following User Says Thank You to VeeJ For This Useful Post:
Sunic (11-16-2012)