View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
(male)

mc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB User
Re: Red lump on foreskin - please help :O

Considering the dimensions, I probably should have mentioned this first: lichen planus. Had you seen that? It's a noncontagious rash. It's not known what causes it. Sometimes it may appear as a reaction to medication. They say it may resolve itself in time without treatment. If your foreskin is not tight, exposing the glans inside your clothes by retracting your foreskin could help it go away sooner (by keeping it dryer). (If it is too tight for that, you may want to loosen it. You can read about that under Men's Health thread "Stretching To Fix Common Foreskin Problems".)

You're right that it's not at all the shape warts usually are. The temporary microscopic nerve like growth out of the bump is what made me think wart (HPV). I don't know if any of these other growths do that. I also forgot that there are actually nonviral warts too: seborrhoeic keratoses (basal cell papillomas). They're not contagious. And you mentioned syringoma, which is yet another noncancerous growth, I see. I read they're painless though? (I'd not heard of them before.) There are also angiokeratomas that might look something like what you described. There are also inflammatory skin conditions like psoriasis that can cause a raised area like you described. (Sometimes psoriasis is caused by a yeast infection).

About penile cancer, I've read that while it's not impossible for it to happen in younger men, it is quite rare. Lifetime risk is only 0.00070% in the US (with ~70-80% male circumcision) and 0.00059% in Denmark (with ~5% male circumcision). Penile cancer is most often a result of prolonged HPV infection (as may occur in immune system dysfunction/failure). Some of these conditions say they increase future risk for cancer, but none actually are cancerous themselves, so I wouldn't be too worried about that without more reason.

Incidentally, smegma doesn't have anything to do with having sex or not. It's an accumulation of skin oil & dead skin cells. In adults, it's a sign you should be washing under the foreskin better or more often. (Though I could see how you might have been washing inadequately lately because you don't want to irritate the mystery bump.)

If you didn't know, you want to wash your penis every time you shower (but probably not more than once daily). Soap helps but might be irritating too. Only use a soap that rinses off rather than one that leaves a film. Moisturizing soaps can cause irritation and even infections (especially with more sensitive skin). Use a gentle finger rubbing action to get any/all accumulation off all the skin (mucosa) of the foreskin and glans (avoiding irritating the bump). The shaft, surrounding pubic area, and scrotum need soap, scrubbed and rinsed daily of course too. Taking pride in genital hygiene is totally worth it because it gives you more confidence in yourself in sex making you a better sexual partner.

I just used bold to prevent losing keywords in all the text, I'm not trying to seem like I'm shouting or anything. I hope this helped.

The Following User Says Thank You to mc7 For This Useful Post:
helpmedudes (11-21-2012)