View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
(male)

Kalinakov HB User
Fissures and Piles, Oh My!

I've been a long time reader of these forums, ever since I started having my lil problem.

One afternoon, after a morning at the gym, I sat down for one of my favorites hobbies, evacuating my bowels. Little did I know, this one was special. As I sat there and got down to business I noticed some pain, sharp but brief. My moneymaker hurt for a couple of days but went away. This happened from time to time over the next year, and would always go away in about a week. Fast forward to 6-8 months ago. I was at work, about to again 'drop the kids off at the pool', but this would be no ordinary trip to the facilities.

The pain was incredible. Bleeding, pain, the feeling that I couldn't get it all out. I was a mess. Hot and bothered, and not in the good way, I looked down and noticed bright red blood in the thunder bucket with more on the toilet paper. For the last 6-8 months I'd been living with pain nearly every time I went to the bathroom. A bowel movement meant the rest of my day in bed.

About a month ago I saw my first colorectal surgeon. He poked and made some "hmmm" noises for a few seconds and said, "You have an anal fissure." I kinda knew this already from these boards and from my superior google skills, but it was still nice to hear a professional. He gave me Dilitazem 2% cream and told me to lube up 3x a day. For the last month I've had a anus in a constant state of lubrification (word created for effect). I'm not sure I've been doing it right. I still have a burning, painful feeling a bit inside my anus, but the painful lump that had always followed a bowel movement was nowhere to be found any longer. That is, until last Thursday. After an unpleasant (more so than usual) trip to the can, the raging anger beast was back. I've lived in fear of a movement for nearly a year. I've had one round of treatment that hasn't offered much relief. I have been able to have a fairly normal life, there is still pain but not AS bad until recently.

My questions for the group:

Have I been using the cream properly? Are you only supposed to smear it on the outside of the anus? My doctor really didn't give me any indication of proper application.

This being my second trip the the surgeon in a few hours, what might I expect as a next course of action? Have any of you experiences Piles over Fissures and had them cured without surgery with different applications of medication?

At this point I'm depressed, as I've read most become, and generally quite miserable. I welcome any feedback anyone has.