Thread: thyroid nodules
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

UNKNOWN0 HB User
thyroid nodules

hi,

I have enlarged thyroid glands since i was little (when i was still in 6th grade), and now I am 31 years old. I never have nodules until last year, we found a 2mm nodule on my left lobe, and this year, there's a new 6mm well circumscribed hypoechoic isthmus nodule. my lab works are normal ( i had hypo and hyper before, one of the docs said i had grave disease but i got recovered, haven't have any problem with the lab works since, and that's about 4 years ago) Can a nodule grow so quickly, appear within a year? The doc said we will repeat ultrasound in 6 months, if it gets bigger, we will do biopsy. I called him back to see if there's any reason we shouldn't do the biopsy now, he said no. So it's up to me again, to see if i should do the biopsy..... is there any drawback that we shouldn't do it? how accurate is the FNB? since i have thyroid since i was young.. does it mean that eventually i will need to take the thyroid out? any of you have similar experience? sorry for so many questions... thank you in advance for any feedback and advise and happy thanksgiving!

-----------------------------------------------------
my ultrasound report:

Right Lobe: 6cm x 3cm x 1.3cm with a heterogenous echo pattern, slight increased vascularity; No nodule.

Left Lobe: 6cm x 2cm x 1.3cm with a heterogenous echo pattern, slight increase in vascularity. one 2mm nodule, uncharged from last year.

Isthmus: a 6mm well circumscribed hypoechoic nodule, not noted previously.

Impression: new 6mm well circumscribed hypoechoic isthmus nodule, not noted previously; 6 month followup is recommended to confirm stability.
Stable left lobe 2mm nodule
Mild increased in thyroid vascularity, this can be seen in nonspecific inflammatory processes
No adjacent adanopathy.

Sponsors Lightbulb