View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: IBS... don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForACure View Post
I need help. I have been trying to get help from doctors for a long time, and to no avail.
I am a college student, and I was "diagnosed" with IBS 10 months ago.
When I was in high school, I had some abdominal pain and nausea, probably due to stress. I went to a pediatric GI, he did a colonoscopy and endoscopy, and everything was fine. Like I said, probably stress due to an eating disorder.

10 months ago, I started having pain again, but it was a different kind of pain and accompanied by severe constipation, abdominal distension, and overall ill feeling. I went to a new GI and was told that 3 years ago, my test results were fine and I just had IBS. I was put on a probiotic, fiber supplements, colace, and miralax, as well as told to cut out dairy, red meat, and a variety of other things. Well, 10 months later I am still suffering and all that's been done for me is being told to take miralax 3x daily instead of once. Still suffering, thanks doctors.
Recently, I have also experienced a lot of hip pain and 2 mysterious 'viruses' that caused long bouts of diarrhea. They say IBS doesn't progress or get worse, so why am I getting worse?
Somebody please help me
I have IBS-A- alternating between constipation and diarrhea. Although most of the time I am dealing with the constipation part of it. I can tell you from experience that IBS is a chronic health condition that for the most part you won't get much help from the doctors as you have already found out. It's pretty much up to you to help yourself find out works for your body. Stress,anxiety,and depression can make IBS symtoms worse.
I have had IBS since June of 1996 and before the IBS diagnosis I was always constipated since from very early childhood. I was even hospitalized for the constipation once when I was about 4 or 5 years old. I remember my mom having to give me suppositories and enemas when I was a kid to get me to go. Even after the suppositories and enemas, I remember how painful it was to pass the hard stool.
I have been to get the constipation under control over the last year and a half by these four things I do every day and it has also gotten most of the IBS symtoms under control as well.
1. Drink at least 64 oz. of water a day.
2. Eat 25-30 grams of fiber every day.
3. Take metamucil or citrucel in the morning with breakfast and again in the evening after work or school.
4. Have a set time schedule every day to sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement . Allow up to 30 minutes for this. Read or listen to relaxing music to help your body and mind to relax. I found that if I do slow deep breathing exercises it helps me to go without pain from straining and forcing the BM out. Most people move their bowels about 20-30 minutes after eating a meal or just after they get up in the morning or before going to bed. Whatever your bodies natural bio-rhythmn is. If you don't know what it is then keep track of when you do move your bowels for about 2 weeks. Try to make the schedule according to your body's own rhythmn if it has one. If not,pick a time of day when it would be the most convienient and relaxing to take the time to sit on the toilet to move your bowels. You shouldn't feel rushed because you won't be able to relax enough to be to go. Take it from me if I feel rushed because I know that someone is waiting to use the bathroom then I can't relax enough for the rectal and anal sphincter muscles to relax to be to go.
If I follow these four things daily then I have no constipation problems. If get lazy for more than two days in a row then by the third day I am having to strain to make myself to go and it is so painful.
For the bloating and gas try to stay away from gas forming foods like asparagas,brussels sprouts,beans or anything else that exacterbates it. Dairy and red meats can cause gas and constipation as well as chocolate and bananas. The fruits and vegetables that help me to go on a daily basis is: stewed apricots or prunes(6 at breakfast)pears,berries,watermelom,acorn or butternut squash,sweet potatoes and yams,carrots(raw),spinach> If I eat at least one of these at each meal and take the citrucel twice a day and drink lots and lots of water then I usually have at least one bowel movement in the morning before going to work and sometimes one at night. I am happy if I go at least once a day. Most of my constipation problem is from lack of fiber and enough water in my diet and not taking the time to go each day.
I sure hope this helps you to get relief from the pain and discomfort from being constantly constipated.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
alana7789 (11-22-2012)