View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
(female)

KathrynJ HB User
Re: osteochondral allograft transplant

Dr Gross is wonderful! My result has been great - I had the surgery Feb 29 of this past spring, crutches till mid-May, then about 5 or 6 weeks until I could walk well enough to go back to work. Still regaining strength, but am doing all regular activities. The range of motion was tough to get, but now, it's even better than it was pre-op. My knee will never be a perfect knee, it's still crunchy with a lot of bad cartilage etc. But the focal defect, that was causing stabbing pains when I walked for over 10 minutes, is GONE. I can walk for over an hour, no pain. It still gets a bit stiff now and then, and it doesn't love me kneeling on it, but that's no biggie - my goal was to be able to walk pain-free again, and now I can.

Now, my situation was for a knee, not a hip, so your protocol may be different.

I was a bit leery re: risk of infection, but Dr. Gross and my surgeon here both said that the risk of that is infinitesimal. I work at a hospital, I'm probably more likely to pick up some nasty infection at work, rather than from this surgery.

All in all, my procedure has been a resounding success, and despite my initial hesitancy (just like hours!) I'm very glad I had it done. Good luck!!