View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB User
Re: Looking for expert opinion on my cholesterol numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfar View Post
What are the alternatives to these meds? And what are the side effects of Simvastatin? I've been taking it for a few years now, and don't seem to have had any noticable problems?
Hi again,

I would suggest you research these statins yourself as it's important to know firsthand exactly what you are taking. Side effects are not always immediately felt but may be effecting something unseen. Just look for side-effects after the name of the drug.

As for alternatives, there are a great many posts here about the protocol that many of us follow, if you wish to do a search, but briefly:

to lower LDL - Nature's Plus Red Yeast Rice along with COQ10 Ubiquinol (at least 100mg)

to raise HDL - Flush Niacin - You have to start with a very low dose to avoid flushing too intensely and then slowly ramp up over weeks and months until you are getting about 1000 yo 1500 mg.

to lower Trigs - I happen to prefer Neptune Krill Oil (no fishy taste or after burps). I use Mercola's brand. As far as other oils, Omega 6 tends to promote inflammation, Omega 3 reduce inflammation.

My only other suggestion is that you might want to consider switching to a doc that is more communicative about your treatment.

Wishing you all the best,

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 11-24-2012 at 03:17 AM.