View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #78
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User
Re: What do these things mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abouttwodays View Post
What would "slight heterogeneity in density" of my liver mean on a CT scan?

I'm asking because I got some copies of my records and on my ultrasound it says "heterogeneous and coarsened liver echotexture." On my CT it says "unremarkable surface contour" but "slight heterogeneity in density" regarding my liver.

My understanding is that my liver density is not the same throughout? But what would that indicate? Neither doctor has mentioned it but I'm curious.
Heterogenous means more then one kind. Its usually seen when there is fat cells mixed in with normal liver cells. Coarsened means not smooth, this COULD be indicative of cirrhosis, but I believe that ultrasounds vary so much from operator, to radiologist, to the actual machine. I had a normal ultrasound on a portable unit done at my doctors office, then a few months latter at NYU Medical Center in NY where they have have a $100,000.00 high frequency unit, it showed this: "mild heterogenous echo texture possibly indicating mild patches of fat".

I would think that your CT scan would over-rule your ultrasound. I believe the CT is more accurate and would be better at showing anything serious like regenerative nodules (cirrhosis). Also, the unremarkable contour is good! You certainly dont want a coarsened nodular contour. They say an MRI is even better.

I like to subscribe to my grandmothers advice who lived to 101 who always said "if you keep running to doctors looking for trouble you will find it"