View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

Pain Taker HB User
Unhappy avascular necrosis of the condyle

In 1994 I was in a MVA where I broke my face in 3 places. Titanium plates, wires and screws were secured around the orbit of my left eye, but the head aches continued. By December I had a partial repair of my TMJ, complete with an implant. After I completed PT, I have had very few problems. I can tell when it is going to rain or snow, and sometimes experience intense pain, but by comparison have had a good 18 years.

Fast forward to today. I am experiencing horrendous pain and swelling. I had a CT scan only to find out my bone is dying and the outlook/treatment is not very promising. I am in sales and this pain is really hurting my business, not to mention my relationships. It seems 8pm hits and I am curled up in the fetal position. I try hot baths to soak my face, and the hydrocodone doesn't even come close to touching the pain. This scares my daughters a lot. The doctor told me it takes about 5 years to run the full course of degeneration, which I figure has been escalating for the past 6 months. Physical Therapy sessions have helped lessen the pain, but it is still constant and at times I equate it to labor pains in my joint of my face.

I have been searching for alternatives to the pain. "Just dealing with it" is not something I am willing to accept. I want my life back.

I am looking for anyone who has had a similar story. . . . or any suggestions at all to manage this pain.