View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Conflicting Opinions On Rebif and Pregnancy

The manufacturer as well as the FDA only state that you should stop using Rebif immediately if you find yourself pregnant. I would probably ask how long it takes Rebif to clear your system before you try to have a baby as this would be above all the safest choice.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) uses a category system to classify the possible risks to a fetus when a specific medicine is taken during pregnancy. Pregnancy Category C is given to medicines that have not been studied in pregnant humans but that do appear to cause harm to the fetus in animal studies. It is an ethical dilemma because it would be tragic if pregnant women were subjected to medical trial as they and their child could both suffer.

Among these Category C meds are:

Based on the meds noted in your signature:

1. Animal studies on Baclofen (Lioresal, Gablofen) and pregnancy have shown that this medication may increase the risk of a certain birth defect in the wall of the stomach. Although this is a pregnancy Category C medication, a healthcare provider may still prescribe it if the benefits to the woman outweigh the possible risks to the unborn child.

2. Neurontin (Gabapentin) should only be given in pregnancy when benefit outweighs risk. It should not be used if you plan to breastfeed as it will pass to the baby at maximum dosage.

3. Rebif may be harmful to an unborn baby, or may cause a miscarriage. Do not use Rebif if you are pregnant. Tell your doctor if you become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether interferon beta-1a passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use Rebif without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

I would discuss all of your meds with your neuro and your OB/Gyn or Family Doctor. You can still have a healthy baby. I hope my info can help.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><