View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User
Re: Triple Athrodesis and Running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcdave0331 View Post
I have been ALL over the internet looking for an answer to this question; what are my chances of being able to run again AFTER my triple athrodesis?

(I also have to get an achilles tendon replacement with my FHL, and my heel shaved down because it protrudes because of my faulty achilles.)

I'm mainly worried about the Triple. I've had an achilles surgery before (re-ruptured) and I know about the recovery process. I put off the surgery to go to Afghanistan in a brace that keeps my foot completely immobile at a 90 degree angle. I went on over 50 patrols in 60 days. I tell you this to let you know, I can deal with some pain. That being said, there are days that are worse than others!

My worry, I am 27 years old, I have a newborn, I want to be able to run around and play with him when he gets older! Right now, I am athletic, I KNOW I can't stay in the Marine Corps after the surgery, I'm fine with that, and have already started college courses.

Will I be able to run?

If so, is it just painful, or is it impossible?

If I put off the surgery are their bracing options?

And, if I can't run, has anyone decided to just go through with an amputation? If so, what were your results?

I have my pre-op in a month and am scheduled for surgery in January. I deeply appreciate any insight that can be offered. Thank you so much!

Dave
Hi Dave, I recently had a triple arthrodesis and I am in week 8 . I am much older than you and do not run so I have not asked my doctor that question. There was another young man on this site last week that asked the same question as yours. He is a part time police officer looking to go full time, therefore, needs to be able to run. I advised him to go through some old posts where someone asked that question and got favorable responses. I can tell you the triple A that I had was severe as my arch had completely collasped. My doctor is renound for doing this surgery and I have total confidence that I will be so much better when the healing is finished. After 8 weeks I can see the swelling almost gone and I start PT in another week. When I go see him next week for my evaluation about starting PT I will ask him about running and let you know what he says.