Thread: IBS 20yr Misery
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #62
(female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User
Re: IBS 20yr Misery

CCW! So glad you had a wonderful trip and a joyous Thanksgiving! I'm so happy for you. I chuckled over the part about your wife 'having to go'. That was a switch huh? I'm sure your family was thrilled to see you back home and I'm sure Kitty loved the ride! What color is Kitty?

LouAnn, I'm happy that your test results came back okay and that the meds are helping with the pain. Have you tried restricting your diet to certain foods? I really hope you will try acacia fiber...I honestly believe that was the crucial turning point in my IBS recovery. I think IBS sufferers have to realize that there is no magic pill that will cure us, and that health professionals just don't have a clue what to do with us, so its up to us to figure out what works best for our bodies.

Since my tummy troubles started all those many years ago, I have gone to at least 5 different doctors, had every test imaginable, and had so many prescriptions filled, but never found anything that 'worked'. I remember reading that antidepressants could help someone with IBS by inhibiting seratonin in your gut. I discussed it with my GI doctor, who gave me a sample pack to try. I waited until a Saturday to take one just in case I had a weird reaction..and I'm so glad I did. Within 20 minutes of swallowing it, I had what I referred to as "fire hydrant hinney". But the worse part was how I felt emotionally/mentally. That med just freaked me out. I remember just pacing repeating to myself "I'm okay, I'll be ok"...

Went back to the doctor Monday because I was still so freaked out. He tried joking saying that I was the only person he knew that got depressed on antidepressants. When I told my gyn what had happened, we realized that the dosage of the sample pack was much too strong for a first time user.

Anyway...

My Thanksgiving was wonderful. We went to a very nice restaurant and had a delicous dinner. It was so nice not to have to wrestle with a turkey and have all the food shopping, preparing...and cleanup taken care of. I think we started a new 'tradition'. Eating out on Turkey Day. Next year we are hoping to get into NYC for the Macy's Parade! Oh, how my life has changed!!

SB